Friday, May 15, 2009

Hello Rainy Season

When I decided to move to Hong Kong, I pictured a pretty rainy place. I'm a sunshine person (not a duck), and I definitely felt anxiety about moving somewhere grey and wet. Luckily for me, this has been one of the driest years for Hong Kong and I have been as happy as a dog who doesn't like to swim. It reminds me of Bear who wouldn't even go out to pee when it was raining!

I woke up this morning to a slightly grey day, bright but not sunny. I went out for a morning walk through the markets and ended up coming back home early because of annoying spitting rain, the occasional dirty water stream off an awning and the sea of umbrellas floating and bouncing along at my exact eye-level. The slippery streets in the wet markets make me nervous on my feet and gross me out around the meat and seafood stalls. So once I returned home I thought I would check the weather (something I rarely do in Hong Kong). What I discovered was so disheartening, I needed to share it with the world.

Spring is here, and with it comes the rain I see.

School has been a fun and exciting hullabaloo lately. My coaching has wrapped up with medals and team achievements. My class is happily investigating a new Unit of Inquiry into the Human Body, which puts me right in my element and makes every minute of class time fun for me :) I'm the Gr. 5 Lower School Student Council teacher rep. and we are putting on a big party at the end of the month, which I have enjoyed planning with the kids. Every day I slip a little more into my role of Gr. 5 convenor as the team begins to plan next for year and reflect on the past year's successes and failures. Although it really is great going to school each day, I am also counting down to summer holidays! Thirty-six days until Canada.

No comments: